We’ve wrapped up the 6th Annual DIY Tourism and Local Marketing Workshop and couldn’t be more proud of what we’ve accomplished together! Here are some highlights from this year’s spectacular event.
DIY? Because We Love You Awards
As the DIY Tourism Workshop entered its sixth year, co-founders Sarah Benoit, Chris Cavanaugh, and Justin Belleme decided it was time to start a new tradition to recognize communities doing incredible work in tourism marketing. That’s when the DIY? Because We Love You! awards were born.
Each year, our team chooses up to three communities we believe are being innovative and building community through strategies that have real tangible impact.
This year’s awards went to:
Top DIY Classes
The workshop schedule was jam-packed this year with topics ranging from all aspects of tourism marketing and digital marketing. But according to our attendees who took our exit survey, these were the ones they ranked the highest:
- Google Analytics Updates – For almost 20 years, Universal Google Analytics has set the standard for website tracking. This free tool has become incredibly valuable for businesses and organizations of all sizes all across the country. Google will launch a new version of Google Analytics on July 1, 2023, called “GA4.” Learn what is changing with your website tracking and how you can prepare for one of the biggest changes in Google tracking since 2005.
- Redefining SEO in Today’s Modern World – SEO (search engine optimization) is more than just a marketing service or strategy—it’s a mindset. Embracing this mindset means you have committed to putting your customers’ experience first and always working to improve your website experience. Find out what it means to build your authority and optimize your website in 2023.
- Anticipating the Future of Travel – Think your crystal ball is broken? Rest assured—it’s not working for anyone else, either. But there are some signals (some stronger than others) demonstrating where travel is going, how you can leverage what we know, and how you can prepare for what you don’t. Chris Cavanaugh of Magellan Strategy Group gives us his long-term vision for travel post-Covid and how your organization can take advantage of a much-changed marketplace.
- Engaging the Right Influencers and Partners – The world of influencers and partnership marketing is ever-changing, and new opportunities are available for many regions. Learn current influencer trends and strategies for connecting with the people and partners you need to increase engagement and build your following.
- Tips for Making DIY Reels that Engage People – Reels have fast become one of the most popular forms of content on the Internet. How can you and your brand make the best use of this medium? Get tips and tricks for creating Reels that have an impact.
- Website Usability Basics – UX is a growing field focused on putting customers first and making their experience your #1 priority. An important part of UX is website usability, which focuses on the importance of building and managing websites people want to visit. Learn the latest trends and best practices for making your website a place people want to be and take action.
Did you attend the DIY Workshop but not take our survey? We want to hear from you! Please complete this short survey to share your thoughts, likes, and dislikes on this year’s DIY Workshop, as well as any classes or topics you’d like us to include next year. Help us plan next year’s event!
Exploring Asheville Afterhours
Even though we had the first real cold spell of the year during the workshop, attendees still enjoyed our mountain town. We heard stories about trips to local favorites like Old Europe, Strada, LaZoom Tours, and so much more. We’re so excited that attendees got to experience more than just the inside of a conference room while they were here!
Thank You to Our Presenters
We could not have pulled off such a spectacular event without our presenters and media panel. Without their participation and expertise in this year’s event, things would not have been as engaging and effective as they were. Keep in touch with your favorite speaker and their company as they continue to teach and share with their audiences.
*Visit our Presenters page to find links and more info about their organizations.
Thank You to Our Sponsors
And last but not least, we want to thank our sponsors for supporting us, spreading the word, and showing up whenever we needed them.
Here’s to many more years of the DIY Tourism and Local Marketing Workshop! Make sure to join our email list to keep informed on next year’s event, including specials for returning attendees, behind-the-scenes looks, and more.